You have a new baby on the way - what do you need? This is the list of the essentials for your baby’s sleep and bathing needs - the absolute must-have items to keep your baby safe and to keep your sanity.
By newborn - I really mean a newborn - up to 1 month old. And by essentials - I mean the absolute basics. You may want to look at the 10 Best ‘Nice to Have’ Items for Newborns, as well as the 10 More Newborn Nice-to-Haves to see what else is out there.
And of course, there is much more a newborn needs beyond a good night sleep and a refreshing bath. Check out the Top 10 Feeding and Diaper Needs,Top 10 Soothing and Illness Necessities, and Top 10 Travel Needs for Newborns.
Top 10 Sleep and Bath Items for Newborns and Babies
- A crib or bassinet. Always buy new - you don’t want any safety concerns! And make sure the mattress is firm - no soft mattress padding, as this is a risk for SIDS. Remember, your child will outgrow a bassinet in a couple of months, but they can be super convenient for keeping your baby near you.
- At least two fitted crib sheets (there will be messes - have spares!)
- Waterproof mattress protector. Again, there will be messes!
- Six or more receiving blankets. Get thin ones (too thick and they again can be a SIDS risk), but large enough to swaddle your baby. Flannel works well!
- Infant Tub. A small infant tub will allow you to keep baby safe and within easy reach.
- Hooded towels. You can get standard hooded terry towels, or fancier designs like this elephant set.
- Baby wash and shampoo. Aveeno makes quality products, and this set is a good start.
- Baby comb and brush set. A nice soft brush, even if your baby doesn’t have hair, can help stimulate the head and reduce cradle cap.
- Cotton balls and cotton swabs - use to clean around the umbilical cord, and other sensitive areas.
Since this covers newborns up to 1 month, this means you don’t have to worry about solid food or your baby crawling and getting into things yet. However, you probably want to think about that now. See the Top 10 essential babyproofing safety items for a sneak-peak.