You have a new baby on the way - what do you need? This is the list of the essentials for your baby’s feeding and diaper needs - the absolute must-have items to keep your baby safe and to keep your sanity.
By newborn - I really mean a newborn - up to 1 month old. And by essentials - I mean the absolute basics. You may want to look at the 10 Best ‘Nice to Have’ Items for Newborns, as well as the 10 More Newborn Nice-to-Haves to see what else is out there.
And of course, there is much more a newborn needs beyond a good night sleep and a refreshing bath. Check out the Top 10 Sleeping and Bathing Needs, Top 10 Soothing and Illness Necessities, and Top 10 Travel Needs for Newborns.
Top 10 Feeding and Diapering Items for Newborns
- Newborn flow (sometimes called Level 1) nipples for your bottles. Make sure you buy the brand that matches your bottle - otherwise they won't fit properly.
- Bibs and burp clothes - at least 6 each. If you have a baby with reflux, you’ll need plenty of extras. A lot of people like the silicone bibs (pictured) for easy cleaning - but I always preferred traditional terry cloth bibs or the more flexible waterproof bibs.
- Newborn diapers (size N). Don’t buy too many - a lot of babies start off in size 1, or go to size one in a week or two. A lot of parents make the common mistake of buying too many newborn diapers.
- Baby wipes - unscented. Buy in bulk or with Amazon Subscribe and Save.
- Diaper rash ointment. Yes, have this at the ready - it is very easy for babies to get painful diaper rash. We always preferred Boudreaux's Butt Paste.
- Diaper pail. The "Diaper Genie" twists the bags to seal in odor - but you pay a premium for the special diaper genie refill bags. You can get cheaper pails that use regular trash bags (they do work better than trash cans) but you have to take more care to keep the odor under control (seal the diapers tightly before discarding, and change the bag frequently).
Since this covers newborns up to 1 month, this means you don’t have to worry about solid food or your baby crawling and getting into things yet. However, you probably want to think about that now. See the Top 10 essential babyproofing safety tips for a sneak-peak.